Lomas de Arena Tour
Las Lomas de Arena del Palmar (Natural Sand Dunes)
During a Lomas de Arena tour we take you to the “Lomas de Arena del Palmar” regional Park, which is a naturally formed desert with massive 12 meter sand dunes that look completely out of place in the lush humid Bolivian tropical region. Las Lomas are surrounded by savannahs, beautiful lagoons and tropical forests.
Lomas de Arena is a small natural wonder of 3000 hectares of sand dunes located 17 km (45 min drive) from the city of Santa Cruz Bolivia.
The Lomas de Arena tour is perfect for thrill-seekers and nature lovers. Come and join us on this fun day tour to this beautiful natural desert where you can rise up your adrenaline level while practicing sand boarding. Or you can opt for a scenic hike that will be rewarded with a relaxing moment in the oasis and with a refreshing swim in the lagoons. It is also a good opportunity to spot birds and with some luck other wildlife like sloths and monkeys.
Lomas de Arena, located just outside the city of Santa Cruz, is a suitable day trip for adrenaline junkies and nature lovers.
REFERENCE PROGRAM (Half-day tour)
We will pick you up from your hotel and we drive to Parque Lomas de Arena del Palmar, located 17 km from the city of Santa Cruz.
As we enter the protected area of the park in a 4WD and if we are lucky we will be able to spot some wildlife such as sloths, monkeys and birds.
We will enjoy the scenery as we hike through the main sand dunes. After having some refreshments, we will have a lot of fun while practicing sand boarding down the dunes! We will be rewarded with the refreshing waters of the lagoon.
You will be dropped off back at your hotel.
- Private 4×4 transport with Spanish speaking driver-guide
- Snack and bottled water
- Entrance to the Park
- Sand board
What we recommend to take with you:
- Insect repellent
- Comfortable walking shoes/sandals and flip flops
- Sun block 30+
- Shirt with long sleeves
- Cap or hat to protect you from the sun
- Sun glasses
- Swimming suit
- Photo camera (cover it with additional gear to protect it from the sand.)
- The amount of water in the seasonal lagoons varies during the year. The water level is at its largest after the rainy season (December-April).
- With wildlife spotting there are no guarantees so travellers are advised not to get their hopes up too much. Relax and enjoy!
- Tour does not operate with heavy rains or if it is too windy.
Please contact us for more information or to book your tour.
Optional: You can easily combine the Lomas de Arena trip with a Santa Cruz city tour.