Refugio Los Volcanes, Amboro National Park
Refugio Los Volcanes, Amboro National Park (South side)
The lodge Refugio Los Volcanes is located close to the southern part of Amboró National Park and is roughly a 2 hours drive from the city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra.
Tucked away in a deep valley surrounded by the Volcanes mountain range, this place has a privileged location with spectacular views of sandstone rock cliffs and the subtropical forests which surround the Sanctuary. As a blessing, the always spring climate of the region allows the green vegetation of the valleys and mountain ranges to mix with the colors of the flowers.
The crystal clear waters of the Elvira river near the lodge form 3 waterfalls, at the foot of one of them there is a natural pond where it is possible to swim.
There are also 15 km well maintained trails offering opportunities to appreciate the flora and fauna. World renowned ornithologists such as Ridgeley, Tudor and others have visited Refugio Los Volcanes on several opportunities – their bird list register more than 200 species – and the local botanist Roberto Vasquez has identified more than 100 species of orchids and bromeliads.
Accommodation Refugio Los Volcanes
- Infrastructure: colonial style lodge, spacious lawn and lounging areas with a spectacular view for enjoying your favorite book.
- Capacity: 12 guests. Six double rooms each with private bath surrounded by an exuberant landscape and the cry of the wild.
- Meals: Combination of international, national and vegetarian dishes.
- Modern bathrooms and hot showers.
- Potable water and solar/hydro-powered electricity system.
- Small library, bar, and shop of essential supplies for the jungle explorer.
- Integral, environmentally friendly waste management.
- Capacity for small workshops and conferences.
- 4WD Jeep for transport within the Refugio
Activities Refugio Los Volcanes
- A trail system of 15 km that covers all the different habitat types.
- Exploring the forest with local guides.
- Observing birds (over 200 species, see the Birdlist of Refugio Los Volcanes), monkeys, butterflies, frogs and many other fascinating critters.
- Enjoying beautiful orchids and bromeliads.
- Moon walks observing the jungle night life.
- Relaxing in hammocks.
- Refreshing baths in naturals pools formed by the waterfalls of the Elvira Creek.
- Excursions with experienced local guide
- Transport hotel – Refugio Volcanes – hotel
- Overnight stay in cabins
- Very tasty meals
What we recommend to take with you:
- Insect repellent
- comfortable hiking shoes
- Sun block
- Hat against the sun
- Trousers and shirt with long sleeves
- Warm sweater
- Bathing clothes
- Copy of your passport and visa
Interested birders can also check the Birdlist of Refugio Los Volcanes.
We are members of Asociación Armonia, partner of Birdlife International in Bolivia, a global association that strives to conserve birds, their habitats and global biodiversity, working with people towards sustainability in the use of natural resources.
´The tour that we went on was wonderful. My sister and I were on a very tight time schedule and arrived in Santa Cruz with NO idea who to go on a tour with. But needing to organize one for the next day. We met the owners of Ruta Verde and were sold! It was so simple to organize; everything was just so easy and uncomplicated. I was originally worried that the trekking would be difficult and that ...'
´I've done a Bolivia trip (with my lonely planet) for two months. I've been, in 2 months, with A LOT of different tour agencies. Ruta Verde Tour Agency was definitely my favorite. Everything was perfectly organized (which is not that common in Bolivia !) and very sympatic. I took the Amboro park tour for couple of days and I can assure you that it was the best days of my travel. One of the ...'
- South Africa
´What to say about Amboro National Park, the words amazing, beautiful, spectacular, awesome all to come to mind but these superlatives aren't enough, you need to touch it, feel it, hear it, taste it to get the true Amboró experience with Ruta Verde and after you do you never forget it, its fantastic!!! Thanks a million for the experience.´
'I spent 4 days in Amboro in April with Ruta Verde's excellent, knowledgeable local guide. The trip was well organised and the lowland rainforest considerably different from the cloud forest seen in the higher areas of the park. A four day trip allowed me to explore some of the more remote areas off the beaten track that would be virtually impossible to find without a guide.
'Buenos Dias Gijs; The Amboro trek definitely met my expectations. It was incredible, in large part due to the epertise of the guide. He really is a great guide. I don't know from first-hand experience, but I strongly suspect that he is one of the best guides in the business. He is very patient, calm and observant. I'm a fair bird-watcher, etc. but I don't think I once spotted a bird or monkey ...'
'My wife Uschi Janssen and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Parque Amboro (2-4 September 2010). Our guide Julian was most helpful and really made an effort to show us the diversity of wildlife. We were lucky to see small monkeys and a lot of different birds including all kinds of parrots and tukans. Do?a Roci prepared nice meals at the caba?a which, while very basic, is a pleasant place to be. ...'
'Hallo Gijs, even een mailtje om te laten weten dat we erg genoten hebben van de Refugio Los Volcanes. Alles was echt super goed geregeld. Van het vervoer van en naar de Refugio, de wandelingen met de nodige uitleg over de omgeving en ook het eten was heerlijk! We hebben nog een kleine week in Samaipata doorgebracht waar we hebben gerelaxed bij Marga en Pieter op hun kleine landgoedje La ...'